After several weeks of coughs, clods, fevers and general busyness (hence the long absence) you just need to sit down with a nice cuppa and something comforting.
Sunday comfort took the shape of shortbread it is super easy to make and is well worth the hour it takes to bake in the oven.
Here is the recipie I use (it is a modified Delia one)
- 180g butter
- 2 tbs of muscavado sugar (for a caramel flavor)
- 75g sugar
- 1 tbs Vanilla extract
- 180g plain flour
- 80g semolina (for crunch)
2. Mix sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in the flour and semolina until you get a smooth dough and clean bowl. (But don't knead it!)
4. roll out on a lightly floured surface until about as thick as your finger and pop into a baking tray.
5. prick all over with a fork.
6.place in the middle of the oven for 60-70 min -or until golden and firm in the center. When you take it out of the oven score it with a knife or pizza cutter so you can easliy break it into dipping fingers when cooled. Cool on a rack.
7. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea, some knitting and a good movie.