Saturday 20 February 2010

Homemade Crunchy Muesli

Yesterday we ran out of cereal, and being lazy as I am I couldn't be bothered to go to the shop so instead I made some (actually quite a lot...) crunchy muesli. This morning when I woke up I had a lovely bowl of it with rhubarb at our kitchen table. It was so good that I will share the recipe with you!It's very easy to do and it's basically use what you've got in the house approach. I'm not that fond of dried fruit in my muesli so I didn't put any in (I normally put fresh fruit on top instead), but of course feel free to throw in some raisins, dried figs or peaches whatever you fancy or have at hand.

Ingredients:

1 cup or nearly 2,5 dl rapeseed/flaxseed oil (or other healthy oil e.g. coconut oil or olive oil - not extra virgin unless you want your muesli to taste like olives...) 
5 generous tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
 
500g of rolled oats
300g of mixed nuts (I used almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts as that's what I had lying about...)
75g pumpkin seeds
75g sunflower seeds
50g linseeds
50g sesame seeds
75g oatbran
50g wheat germ 
1.Put the oven on 170C.

2.Gently heat the honey and oil with the vanilla in a pan over low heat until the honey is nice and runny and you can stir the mix easily.

3. Mix all your dry ingredients in a BIG bowl and pour over the honey and oil mixture. Stir well until all the dry ingredients are evenly coated.

4. Split the mixture between two large baking trays and spread into an even layer. Bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown, remembering to stir and toss it every 5 minutes! I know this sounds like hard work, but if you don't you'll end up with some of it burnt and some of it soggy... Why not use the 20 min in the kitchen to do the dishes? (not that it was what I did...I watched movie trailers on my mac, they very conveniently last around 4 minutes each...). Take out of the oven and leave it in the trays! Continue to stir through the trays every now and then until they are COMPLETELY cool, if not you loose your hard earned crunch.

5. Store in an air tight container and enjoy! (if you do want to add dried, fruit this it the time to do so) It lasts for up to two months...that is if you don't eat it before that.
  
If you were wondering this recipe give you about 1kg of muesli.

No comments:

Post a Comment