Saturday 22 May 2010

Super easy Banana cake



This morning when I came down to the kitchen I was greeted by the smell of bananas. After a little hunt I found the bunch of very ripe bananas in the bread box (!?!). Something had to be done with them very soon, if not they'd go in the bin. 
After a couple of Google searches and reading several recipes, this is the one I synthesized according to the number of bananas I had at hand and the content of my storage cupboard. Amazingly enough, despite my experimental approach it turned out lovely! And it was super easy - it took me 15min to mix together - the most time consuming part being copping the chocolate and walnuts.

I made mine in a large tray-bake tin, but it could be done in two loaf tins, a cake tin or half the recipe for one loaf tin. It's not that sweet so if you have a sweet tooth maybe do 400g of sugar. Next time I'll probably use half brown sugar for a more caramelly taste.   
Ingredients: 
225g butter
340g sugar
460g self-raising flour
4 eggs
5 large or 6 medium very ripe bananas

optional extras - try all or just one whatever you have in the house:
a couple of handfuls of chopped chocholate
a couple of handfuls of chopped nuts
2 tablespoon of honey
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence

1. Turn your oven on 180c and grease an appropriate tin.

2. Cream butter and sugar together, followed by adding the eggs.

3. Mush your bananas with a fork and add to the creamed butter,sugar and eggs mix.

4. Add the flour and whatever extra flavorings you have at hand and mix well.

5. Pour into your tin and cook in the oven for about 40min or until the tip of your knife comes out clean.


6. Make some nice icing, serve with a spoon of thick vanilla yogurt or eat plain with a cup of tea!


Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment